New

There are many variations of passages of Lorem Ipsum available, but the majority have suffered alter

ORIGINS AND FORMATION OF THE DIOCESE OF WARANGAL

After the bifurcation of Vijayawada Diocese, Hyderabad Diocese was left with Telangana Districts. Of these, let us restrict our view to those that formed Warangal Diocese. The Hyderabad- Vijayawada Railway-line-work had brought a good number of Catholic Employees to the main Railway Junctions / Stations like Kazipet, Dornakal and Khammam. The Baptism Register kept at Kazipet reveals the presence of Catholic Community there since 1887. It was a mixed Community of Anglo-Indians, Telugus and Tamils, settled at the Railway Junction of Kazipet. Between 1890-1930 a good number of Catholic Families migrated from Guntur and other parts of Coastal Andhra to Telangana in search of good cultivable land for their livelihood. Wherever they found good black soil, they settled there. The early Missionaries helped these migrant Traditional Catholic Communities in their settlements and took care of their spiritual needs. Some of these Catholic Villages were erected into Parishes in course of time and were taken care of by PIME Missionaries of Milan, Italy. Some of the Centers being already Parishes before the formation of the Diocese of Warangal are: Kazipet (1887), Byyaram (1901), Bhimaram (1905), Mattampally (1908), Kanchanapalli (1910), Vepala Singaram (1910), Wangamarthy (1914), Bhimanapally (1917), Monugodu (1919) Kethepally (1932), Khammam South (1933), Reddipalem (1933), Dornakal (1937) Narimetta (1939), though settled at the beginning of 1900, Govindapuram (1942), Miryalaguda (1948), Kothagudem (1948), Thimmaraopet (1952); Bhanigandlapadu (1952), and Thallada (1952). While taking care of existing Catholics, being true to their missionary charism, the PIME Fathers engaged themselves in spreading the faith to others of the area and gradually won many people for Christ. The growth of Mission Centres and the number of the Faithful largely increased. The plan of creating the new Diocese of Warangal was clear already in 1949, when Msgr.Alphonsus Beretta PIME, the Vicar Capitular of Hyderabad then, asked Fr. Gino Pazzaglini, the then Parish Priest of Kazipet, to look for a site for the future Diocesan Headquarters. But shortly afterwards when he had to go to Italy, it was Fr. Mariani, PIME, who was entrusted with the work. He, with his efforts and prayers, bought 71 acres of land about 1½ kms from Kazipet and 11 kms from Warangal, which is present Fatimanagar.

To take possession of the land, Bro. Sala Pasqualino, PIME, was sent to Warangal on 18th August, 1949. Except for a small hut, the whole area was like a semi forest. On the next day, i.e. 19th August 1949, Bro.Sala pitched his tent on the ground that was destined to become the heart of a new and flourishable Diocese. If the procurement of the land was a great thing, the grant of permission to utilise it for construction of Bishop’s House and other buildings was a miracle. readmore